my very own muckraker.

Friday, December 4, 2009

the end of non-existence

I am lucky enough to spend a substantial part of my day reading the news. Reuters, financial times, bbc, nyt, the journal and others (including a fox sprinkling) keep me going when I am simultaneously surrounded by people and completely alone.

In effort to reach out and share stories I felt were important to me or my friends or Americans or whomever, I used to post certain stories on facebook. Bad idea. Perhaps if I thrown my arm around my computer, held a camera at arm’s length and snapped hot party pics of me and my favorite news stories I would have received a warmer response from the fb crowd, but alas—my posts were rejected wholesale. My aunt called me pretentious. Sad face emoticon.

Thus a change in venue. Gchat status anyone? I know it’s a stretch but I could throw up 5 or 6 stories I had read that day with a quick tag line in my gmail account and away I went. People could read the stories if they wanted without having their news feed clogged with items of substance (zing, im still bitter) and often times I would score a nice little chat with whichever of my friends was reading the stories. A couple of people, literally two, commented on how they liked the stories and used my status as a resource throughout the day. Cool.

Like any American I decided that bigger is better (plug liquid Extense) and so here I am with an expanded format. I thought that with a little more room I could embed the articles I find interesting within a limited commentary without have to rotate throughout the day. Maybe it will work, maybe not. All three of you will have to decide.

-ray

2 comments: